The People Moving and Manual Handling course will provide learners with the knowledge and skill to conduct handling and moving of residents/patients, with the use of equipment and recommended best methods and techniques, in a manner which is safe for themselves and their residents/patients. The course will also inform learners about the results of moving and handling residents/patients incorrectly, with an emphasis on independent living and how residents/patients and staff can be safe in this regard.
- Learners will know the concept of People Moving and Manual Handling.
- Learners will know the extent of back pain and its causes.
- Know how to lift and carry animate and inanimate loads safely.
- To highlight measures to reduce manual handling through organisational solutions, such as reduced loads or assisted people handling and manual handling techniques and the use of mechanical devices.
- Give learners the ability to;
- Recognise unsafe and hazardous lifting situations.
- Carry out a people moving and manual handling risk assessment.
- Understand and apply the 8 principles of safe lifting.
- Understand the relevant manual handling legislation in Ireland.
- Understand the basic anatomy of the spine.
- How to utilise measures to reduce common manual handling injuries in the workplace.
- To ensure employers are compliant with the relevant legislation.
- English is the language in which training is delivered and learners must have fluency in English.
- Please let us know if learners have any specific learner requirements.
- Learners should wear appropriate clothing for an interactive and practical course.
- Safety Health & Welfare at Work Act 2005.
- General Application Regulations 2007.
- Musculoskeletal System.
- Anatomy, Structure & Function of the Spine.
- 8 Principles of Safe Handling.
- Safe Handling Techniques.
- 5 basic Manual Handling lifts.
- Maintaining fitness.
- Practical people moving and manual handling techniques.
- Log rolling.
- Sitting patient up in bed (3 techniques).
- Turning patient/resident in bed using sliding sheets.
- Moving patient/resident up the bed using sliding sheets.
- Sitting Patient/resident to edge of a bed.
- Sit to stand and stand to sit.
- Transferring patient/resident from bed to chair using various methods.
- The falling patient/resident.
- Use of hoists.
- Classroom-based power-point presentation.
- Demonstration and practice.
- Upon successful completion of this course, learners will receive a Phoenix STS Certificate of Completion.
- Course refresher is recommended after 3 years unless there has been a major change to the employee’s duties that require additional manual handling.
Who Should Attend This Course?
- Anyone who is involved in the moving and handling of residents/patients, all staff engaged in people moving activities such as nursing staff and carers during their working day.
- Companies will be required to supply equipment for this training course, wheelchair, hoist, bed/profiling bed, etc…
- All learners should be working in a healthcare setting.
- All learners should be 18 years of age or over, be in good health and have a general fitness level.
- 8 Learners to 1 Instructor.
- 12 Learners to 2 Instructors.