Over 30% of accidents reported to HSA annually result from manual handling. 50% of people off work with back pain have a recurrence within one year. 5% of back pain leads to prolonged disability. It’s equally common among males and females. This Manual Handling course will give learners the knowledge and skills to assess and lift loads within their own capabilities to minimise the risk of back injury. This course can be tailored to suit individual workplaces. The course involves both theory and practical sessions with the participant being assessed by the instructor in safe handling techniques and the principles of safe moving and handling.
- Learners will know the concept of manual handling.
- The extent of back pain and its causes.
- Know how to lift and carry loads safely.
- To highlight measures to reduce manual handling through organisational solutions, such as reduced loads or assisted manual handling techniques and the use of mechanical devices.
- Give learners the ability to;
- Recognise unsafe and hazardous lifting situations.
- Carry out a manual handling risk assessment.
- Understand and apply the 8 principles of safe lifting.
- Understand the relevant manual handling legislation in Ireland.
- Understand the basic anatomy of the spine.
- How to utilise measures to reduce common manual handling injuries in the workplace.
- To ensure employers are compliant with the relevant legislation.
- English is the language in which training is delivered and learners must have fluency in English.
- Please let us know if learners have any specific learner requirements.
- Learners should wear appropriate clothing for an interactive and practical course.
- Safety Health & Welfare at Work Act 2005.
- General Application Regulations 2007.
- Musculoskeletal system.
- Anatomy, structure & function of the spine.
- 8 principles of safe handling.
- Safe handling techniques.
- Maintaining fitness.
- Practical manual handling techniques.
- Practical test.
- Classroom-based power-point presentation.
- Demonstration and practice.
- Upon successful completion of this course, learners will receive a Phoenix STS Certificate of Completion.
- Course refresher is recommended after 3 years unless there has been a major change to the employee’s duties that require additional manual handling.
Who Should Attend This Course?
- All staff who perform tasks involving manual handling at their place of work.
- Regulation 68 of the 2007 Regulations defines ‘manual handling of loads’ as:
‘any transporting or supporting of a load by one or more employees and includes lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying, or moving a load, which, by reason of its characteristics or of unfavourable ergonomic conditions, involves risk, particularly of back injury, to employees.’