The Heartsaver Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) Course teaches the basic techniques of adult, child and infant cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and how to use an AED. This course will equip you with the skills necessary to respond to a victim of sudden cardiac arrest. The course is video based and recognised by the Irish Heart Foundation and the American Heart Association.
The course teaches skills with the American Heart Association’s research-proven Practice-While-Watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the learners, provide feedback and guide the learner on their learning skills. By the end of the course, the learner will have completed numerous cycles of CPR while using an AED, this is all designed to make the learner more comfortable and confident if ever asked to carry out the skills in real life.
The aim of the course is to equip the learner with the relevant knowledge and skills to deliver a range of life-saving techniques in an emergency relating to sudden cardiac arrest.
- To understand the principles of CPR this.
- To deliver a two-minute cycle of CPR.
- To safely and effectively use an AED.
- To assist with someone who is choking.
- English is the language in which training is delivered and learners must have fluency in English.
- Learners should be physically fit to carry out chest compressions on a manikin when kneeling.
- It is a requirement that learners demonstrate effective chest compressions and provide mouth-to-mouth ventilation during the course.
- Please let us know if learners have any specific learner requirements.
- Adult Chest Compressions.
- Adult Breaths.
- Adult Pocket Face Mask.
- Adult Practice.
- Adult Defibrillation.
- Adult Choking.
- Child CPR/AED Full.
- Infant CPR/AED Full.
- Child Choking.
- Infant Choking.
The course is facilitated by an instructor who will guide you through the course with an interactive DVD that allows you to Practice-While-Watching.
As learners progress through the course they will be continually assessed by the instructor. Towards the end of the course, the learner will be presented with a complete CPR & AED scenario to which they must respond. The learner must complete all necessary steps to complete the course successfully.
- Irish Heart Foundation & American Heart Association credit card sized certificate.
- Valid for 2 years.
- It should also be noted that as this course is certified by both the Irish Heart Foundation & American Heart Association it is recognised internationally.
To maintain your qualification after your two-year certification period has expired you will be required to undertake the full course, there is no refresher course available for this program.
Who Should Attend This Course?
- People who want to learn CPR and AED use but who are not expected to use it regularly.
- This would include people who do not work within the health service such as, sports coaches, teachers and parents as a very small example.
- The course is also suitable for non-acute healthcare staff such as nurses and healthcare assistants working in residential care settings, medical secretaries and dental nurses.
2 – 4 hours long depending on the modules undertaken and the number of learners attending the course.